ORLANDO, Fla. - The Seton Hall tennis team continued its impressive run of play on Tuesday, opening their spring break trip with a 4-3 victory over Bucknell, the team's fourth win in its last five outings.
The Pirates got a boost from three doubles victories, securing the all-important doubles point.
Sophomores Chloe Sher (Shui Wai, Hong Kong) and Rocio Portela (Demetrio Vega Baja) got it started for SHU, blanking Bucknell's team of Jen Bush and Courtney Casey, 8-0, in their #1 doubles match.
In singles action, Sher breezed to the point in her #1 singles matchup with Iepuras, defeating the BU senior 6-1, 6-1.
After Bucknell pulled out wins in slots two through four, the pressure was on newcomers Guryanova and Rodriguez with the Bison leading the match 3-2.
The pair of first year players answered the call for the Pirates as they both moved past their opponents in straight sets to give SHU the overall victory.
Rodriguez went up against Jen Bush in #5 singles, earning a 6-4, 6-2 win.
Guryanova similarly controlled her match with Alyssa McAndrew in the number six slot, dropping only four games in a 6-2, 6-2 triumph that secured the win for the Pirates.
The Pirates return to the court tomorrow, March 14 for their second of three matches in three days when they take on #73 Fordham. First-serve is scheduled for 11:00 a.m.
Seton Hall 4, Bucknell 3
1. Chloe Sher (SHU) def. Dumitrita Iepuras (BU), 6-1 6-1
2. Courtney Casey (BU) def. Rocio Portela (SHU), 6-4, 7-6 (5)
3. Elena Vidrascu (BU) def. Elizabeth Verow (SHU), 7-6 (3), 6-1
4. Lydia Colvin (BU) def. Madison Shoemaker (SHU), 7-5, 6-4
5. Maria Rodriguez (SHU) def. Jen Bush (BU), 6-4, 6-2
6. Anna Guryanova (SHU) def. Alyssa McAndrew (BU), 6-2 6-2
1. Portela/Sher (SHU) def. Bush/Casey (BU), 8-0
2. Shoemaker/Verow (SHU) def. Colvin/Vidrascu (BU), 8-3
3. Guryanova/Rodriguez (SHU) def. Iepuras/McAndrew (BU), 8-7 (6)