JERSEY CITY, N.J. - The Seton Hall tennis team completed a successful trip to Jersey City on Friday afternoon, topping local rival Saint Peter's College, 6-1.
For the third straight match, the Pirates performed well in doubles competition, winning all three matchups to earn the doubles point.
Sophomores Chloe Sher (Shui Wai, Hong Kong) and Rocio Portela (Demetrio Vega Baja, Puerto Rico) combined to best the Peacocks' top team of Alex Livingston and Joniesa Williams, 8-4.
Senior Elizabeth Verow (Barnt Green, England) and freshman Madison Shoemaker (Halfmoon Bay, British Columbia) won a hard fought match with a pair of Saint Peter's freshmen, Jemila Brady and Adina Ungurean-Halagian, 8-6.
In singles competition, SHU took five of the six matches to secure its second consecutive victory.
Guryanova and Shoemaker each made quick work of their opponents, winning their matches without surrendering a single game.
Shoemaker downed Grbelja in #4 singles and Guryanova topped Jessica Nowogrodzki playing in the #6 slot.
The other three Pirate victories would not come as easy.
Junior Karina Cordero (Maracay Estado Aragua, Venezuela), Rodriguez and Verow all needed three sets to come out on top.
In the #3 position, Cordero fell behind Joneisa Williams after losing the first set, 4-6. The veteran from Venezuela recovered to best Williams in the next two sets in a back and forth affair, earning a 4-6, 6-4, 7-5 victory.
Rodriguez took the first set 7-5 from fellow freshman Jemila Brady. Brady rebounded to take the second set 6-3 but Rodriguez would come out on top in the decisive final set, earning a 7-5, 3-6, 6-2 victory for her team-leading fifth singles victory in dual match competition this season.
Verow outlasted Ungurean-Halagian, 6-0, 4-6, 6-4 in #2 singles. After dropping the second set to even the match, Verow opened up a 5-2 advantage in the third frame and held off the attempted comeback to take the point.
The Pirates will be aiming for their third straight victory when they take the court next on Friday, March 9 against NJIT. First-serve is slated for 4:00 p.m.
Seton Hall 6, Saint Peter's 1
1. Alex Livingston (SPC) def. Rocio Portela (SHU), 6-4, 6-0
2. Elizabeth Verow (SHU) def. Adina Ungurean-Halagian (SPC), 6-0, 4-6, 6-4
3. Karina Cordero (SHU) def. Joneisa Williams (SPC), 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
4. Madison Shoemaker (SHU) def. Ivana Grbelja (SPC), 6-0, 6-0
5. Maria Rodriguez (SHU) def. Jemila Brady (SPC), 7-5, 3-6, 6-2
6. Anna Guryanova (SHU) def. Jessica Nowogrodzki (SPC), 6-0, 6-0
1. Chloe Sher/Portela (SHU) def. Livingston/Williams (SPC), 8-4
2. Shoemaker/Verow (SHU) def. Brady/Ungurean-Halagian (SPC), 8-6
3. Guryanova/Rodriguez (SHU) def. Grbelja/Vanessa Vogel (SPC), 8-1