The Pirates' scoring came on the strength of three individual victories.
Sophomore Chloe Sher (Shui Wai, Hong Kong) defeated Claudia Hidalgo 6-0, 6-2 in #1 singles, her second win over Hidalgo in 2011-12. Sher previously bested the Bulldogs' junior 6-0, 6-1 at the Eastern Intercollegiate Championships in the fall.
In the #2 singles match, senior Elizabeth Verow (Barnt Green, England) eased past Marcela Brandao 6-0, 6-3, picking up her second win in as many matches playing in the number two slot this year.
Freshman Anna Guryanova (Moscow, Russia) secured the third Seton Hall point of the night by virtue of a 6-3, 6-3 win over Lucy Bird.
Earlier in the match, SHU narrowly missed winning their first doubles point of the season, despite having two teams playing together for the first time this year.
Sher and Verow found success in their debut as a pair with an 8-5 triumph over the Bryant team of L. Bird/Steph Smyers in #1 doubles play.
Also playing together for the first time were Guryanova and fellow freshman Madison Shoemaker (Halfmoon Bay, British Columbia). The team of newcomers fell just short in their effort to upend Bryant's freshman team of Devlin-Ann Ammendola/Rosie Bird, falling 9-8 (4) in #3 doubles.
With the match even at 3-3, freshman Maria Rodriguez (Bogota, Colombia) suffered only her second singles defeat of the year, dropping a hard-fought match to Smyers in #5 singles. Smyers took the point and the match with a 6-2, 7-6 (4) win.
The team played without sophomore Rocio Portela (Demetrio Vega Baja, Puerto Rico) who missed her second consecutive match due to injury.
The Pirates return to action in Providence today when they take on Brown. Start-time is scheduled for 3:00 p.m.
Seton Hall 3, Bryant 4
1. Chloe Sher (SHU) def. Claudia Hidalgo (Bryant), 6-0, 6-2
2. Elizabeth Verow (SHU) def. Marcela Brandao (Bryant), 6-0, 6-3
3. Devlin-Ann Ammendola (Bryant) def. Madison Shoemaker (SHU), 6-4, 6-2
4. May Vickers (Bryant) def. Karina Cordero (SHU), 6-2, 6-2
5. Steph Smyers (Bryant) def. Maria Rodriguez (SHU), 6-2, 7-6 (4)
6. Anna Guryanova (SHU) def. Lucy Bird (Bryant), 6-3, 6-3
1. Sher/Verow (SHU) def. L. Bird/Smyers (Bryant), 8-5
2. Hidalgo/Brandao (Bryant) def. Cordero/Courtney Kilarski (SHU), 8-3
3. Ammendola/R. Bird (Bryant) def. Guryanova/Shoemaker (SHU), 9-8 (4)