WEST POINT, N.Y. - The Seton Hall tennis team fell short against Binghamton on Sunday afternoon, losing 5-2.
Playing their second match in as many days, the Pirates showed an improved level of play.
"I think signs of our progress were evident this weekend against two good teams," said head coach Greg Wyzykowski.
Senior Elizabeth Verow (Barnt Green, England) put the Pirates on the board, winning her #2 singles match 6-4, 6-2 over Taylor Hollander.
In the #6 singles match, freshman Maria Rodriguez (Bogota, Colombia) breezed past Binghamton senior Emma Leibowicz in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3.
The Bearcats took the remaining singles matches in straight sets.
A point of emphasis this season, the SHU doubles teams had a strong showing on Sunday.
Sophomores Chloe Sher (Shui Wai, Hong Kong) and Rocio Portela (Demetrio Vega Baja, Puerto Rico) jumped out to a 3-0 lead in #1 doubles play. The BU team of Jillian Santos and Hollander eventually edged the pair of second-year players by a score of 8-7 (4).
The Seton Hall team of Verow and freshman Madison Shoemaker (Halfmoon Bay, British Columbia) bounced back from an early 0-5 hole. Their comeback effort fell short as they dropped an 8-4 decision to Leibowicz and Jennifer Fridman.
The Pirates' veteran team of Courtney Kilarski (Roseville, Calif.) and Karina Cordero (Maracay Estado Aragua, Venezuela) opened up a 4-1 advantage in their #3 doubles match with Bykovskaya/Medianik. The Bearcats rebounded to take the match 8-6.
Portela was forced to withdraw from singles play with a shoulder injury.
Seton Hall returns to the court on February 10, when they travel to Providence, R.I. to take on Bryant University. Start-time is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
Seton Hall 2, Binghamton 5
1. Jillian Santos (Binghamton) def. Chloe Sher (SHU), 7-6, 6-3
2. Elizabeth Verow (SHU) def. Taylor Hollander (Binghamton), 6-4, 6-2
3. Jennifer Fridman (Binghamton) def. Madison Shoemaker (SHU), 6-3, 6-4
4. Marina Bykovskaya (Binghamton) def. Karina Cordero (SHU), 6-1, 6-1
5. Katherine Medianik (Binghamton) def. Anna Guryanova (SHU), 6-4, 6-3
6. Maria Rodriguez (SHU) def. Emma Leibowicz (Binghamton), 6-2, 6-3
1. Santos/Hollander (Binghamton) def. Sher/Portela (SHU), 8-7 (4)
2. Leibowicz/Fridman (Binghamton) def. Verow/Shoemaker (SHU), 8-4
3. Bykovskaya/Medianik (Binghamton) def. Cordero/Kilarski (SHU), 8-6