WEST POINT, N.Y. - The Seton Hall tennis team opened its spring schedule on Saturday afternoon, dropping a 6-1 decision to Army in upstate New York.
Playing in their fourth dual match of 2012, the defending Patriot League champions swept the doubles matches on the day and topped the Pirates in five singles matches en route to the victory.
Sophomore Chloe Sher (Shui Wai, Hong Kong) recorded the only point for SHU on the day by virtue of her 6-0, 7-6 (7-4) win over Erin Colton in #1 singles.
Freshman Madison Shoemaker
(Halfmoon Bay, British Columbia) took the first set from Army sophomore
Della Taylor in their #4 singles match. Taylor took the second set to extend
the match to a decisive third that ended with Shoemaker ultimately falling in a tiebreak. Taylor took the match 5-7, 6-2, 10-5.
All other Pirates in action fell in straight sets.
Seton Hall returns to the campus of the United States Military Academy tomorrow, February 5, for a morning tilt with the Binghamton Bearcats. Start-time is slated for 10:00 a.m.
Seton Hall 1, Army 6
1. Chloe Sher (SHU) def. Erin Colton (Army), 6-0, 7-6 (7-4)
2. Jamila Paul (Army) def. Rocio Portela (SHU), 6-4, 6-1
3. Margaret Iliev (Army) def. Elizabeth Verow (SHU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Della Taylor (Army) def. Madison Shoemaker (SHU), 5-7, 6-2, 10-5
5. Elle Taylor (Army) def. Karina Cordero (SHU), 6-1, 6-4
6 Natalie Allen (Army) def. Maria Rodriguez (SHU), 6-3, 6-0
1. D. Taylor/E. Taylor (Army) def. Sher/Portela (SHU), 8-2
2. Colton/Paul (Army) def. Verow/Shoemaker (SHU), 8-3
3. Iliev/Riney (Army) def. Cordero/Courtney Kilarski (SHU), 8-1